The Bioinspired Materials and Transduction Laboratory is housed in Dougherty Engineering Building at the University of Tennessee and includes 500sq. ft. of research space. This laboratory features a variety of measurement and data acquisition systems, optical characterization equipment, sample preparation equipment, fabrication tools, and chemical laboratory facilities necessary for the development and characterization of novel material systems.
Electrical Measurement and Data Acquisition:
- Molecular Devices AxoPatch200B Patch Clamp Amplifier and Digidata 1440A – The AxoPatch200B is the top of the line patch clamp amplifier used throughout the electrophysiology community for performing low-noise, pA-level current measurements of live cells and synthetic lipid bilayers. The Digidata 1440A is a 16-bit resolution, 16ADC/4DAC channel data acquisition system with sampling rates as high as 250kHz. The device connects to a computer via USB 2.0 and is operated using AxoScope 10 software.
- National Instruments CompactDaq (CDAQ-9174) Modular Data Acquisition System – 4-slot chassis, USB interface to computer, Modules: NI 9215 Analog Voltage input (16-bit, 4-channel, BNC, 100kHz), NI 9263 Analog Voltage output (16-bit, 4-channel, 100kHz), NI 9211 Analog Thermocouple (24-bit, 4-channel, 14Hz, built-in cold junction)
- Tektronix TDS 1001B Digital Storage Oscilloscope – 2-channel, 40MHz, 500MS/s sampling rates, 2.5k record length, USB port for remote storage
- Agilent 33210A Function/Arbitrary Waveform Generator – 10MHz function generator, 14-bit, 50 MSa/s, 8K-point arbitrary waveform generator, USB and GPIB interfaces
- Fluke 87 V Multimeter
Micromanipulation and Microinjection:
- World Precision Instruments SM325 Programmable Motorized Micromanipulator and Controller – 3-axis, stepper motor driven micromanipulator that features 25mm travel along each axis, with 0.1μm resolution. The manipulator is controlled using the MCL3 controller, which allows for manual control via joystick or automated positioning with the accompanying software interface
- Eppendorf Femtojet Microinjector – enables controlled injections of small liquid volumes of up to 100pL via independent control of injection pressure (0-6,000hPa in increments of 5hPa), compensation pressure (0-6,000hPa in increments of 5hPa), and injection time (0-99.9 seconds, in increments of 0.1 seconds). The device features an integrated compressor and uses Eppendorf Femotips (0.5μm inner diameter at the tip).
- Two Dell Precision T3500, Dual Core, 2.53GHz, Windows 7 (64-bit) OS and mobile workstations
Optical Measurement and Imaging:
- Olympus IX51 Inverted Microscope with Fluorescence – 4x, 10x, and 40x phase corrected objectives, 30W Halogen bulb and condenser, 6 position fluorescent cube turret, 100W Hg lamp, narrow blue and green filter cubes.
- Leica M80 Stereoscope – 1.0X achromobjective, 10x eyepiece, 0.75-6x magnification changer, cool LED lighting, digital camera attachment
- QImaging QIClick Cooled CCD Camera – high resolution, 1.4MP Sony® ICX285 CCD sensor, 6.45μm x 6.45μm pixel size, cooled 25°C below ambient
- Canon G12 Digital Camera – with trinoc port adapter for interfacing with Leica M80
- Newport Isostation 3’x4′ Vibration Isolation Workstation
- ThorLabs 2.5’x4′ Vibration Isolation Workstation
Material Characterization, Sample Preparation, and Storage:
- Avanti Polar Lipids Mini-Extruder with heater block
- Fisher Scientific Accumet AP85 Portable Waterproof pH/Conductivity Meter
- Ohaus Explorer EX224 220g x 0.00001g scale
- Thermo Scientific Cimarec Digital Hot/Stir Plate
- Wheaton Calibra 1-10μL and 0.1-2.0 μL pipettes
- Ohaus CS Series 5kg scale
- VWR compact refrigerator (3-8°C)
- VWR 1.5cu.ft. freezer (-20°C)
- Thermo Scientific/Barnstead EasyPure II Water Purification System
- Ultracruz mini centrifuge
- Ultracruz vortex mixer
- Fisher Scientific FS20D Bath Sonicator
- Vacuum pump and glass dessicator
- Access to fume hoods/wet labs/spin coaters in departmental labs